The Journey that Changed My Life
 |
| My mommy, Sister, and I at age 4. |
This woman has never left my side through thick and thin.
She will always be the backbone to my weakness and the best friend I can
always count on. She is my mother, best friend, and caregiver. From what I can remember, she was
always the one person I looked up to. She has led me to be a great woman
myself and I can't thank her enough for it. She showed us great love and
always gave us inspiration to succeed throughout our lives. The farthest memory
back I have of my mother is her always looking for me. I was the little
girl that believed I could do anything, so I would always end up lost and doing
my own thing. From then on my mom gave me the nickname "REBEL."
We were the goofy ones of the family who never had a dull moment
in our lives. It was always something with her and I. We got along
so well and she was my side kick who was a rebel with me. From doing
doughnuts in the parking lots during the winter, to skiing on our knees during
the summer, everyone was always saying for a good time call the
"rebels."
 |
| Senior Night 2009. |
For a senior night you image walking down
the field with your parents or loved ones and celebrating the whole
entire night together. To say the least mine wasn't your average night.
Instead mine consisted of one moment walking down the field with a smile from ear to
ear and being happy with who was beside me to a moment of my mother and I
crying hysterically in the stands while I held my mommy in my arms. This
was due to a few moments after our walk down the field she received a
phone call letting her know her tests did not come back correct from her biopsy
of her breasts. From this night on my mom was suffering from breast
cancer. It was caught at an early stage but
still terrifying when you hear the word "CANCER."
 |
| Winter Senior Homecoming. |
A couple weeks went by and my mother was okay in health awaiting
her mastectomy surgery. She came to homecoming pictures as if
she was perfectly fine with none of my friends knowing
what horrendous news we had received. I was on homecoming
court and all I could think about was my mom the entire time. I didn't
want to go; I wanted to be with her because who knows what could have happened
in a matter of time. However, not going would have been another thing I
was going to miss out as a senior and too suspicious to my friends, with them
asking, "Why would Chandler would miss her last homecoming ever?" I
had a fake smile on my face and walked down the homecoming court appreciating
the fact that I could make it there but still constantly worrying about my
mother and what she was going through.
The feeling of excitement was lacking but I knew that this was the last
go around for me. After waiting
for about nine hours during my mothers mastectomy surgery we were expecting to
hear the news of everything going well and my mother coming out brand new. However, the nurse came outside to the
waiting room finding us anxiously waiting and broke the news that the cancer
has spread into my mothers lymph-nodes and there was nothing we could do about
it but proceeding with chemotherapy.
 |
| Graduation 2010. |
During chemotherapy she lost all of her hair, and became a very
fatigue individual. Shortly after
we had found out about the seriousness, I quit cheerleading for basketball
and competition, didn't go on senior spring break, quit my job and became
a full time caregiver to my mother. This was very intimidating to me
because of the possibility of not doing something right and harmed my mother. I was only seventeen years old and this
isn’t what I expected to be doing because it was very scary. My father switched to the night shifts
and I was there otherwise. My role in my family's life was
completely changed but I couldn't ask for a better wake up call. I call
this a wake up call because my mother deserved me to be there for me to be her caregiver as she was for me when I was growing
up and it also has gotten me to realize it was time to grow up and
move to the bigger world of college. Being by my mother's side for a year
straight and watching her health decline was really hard for me when making my
college decision. Carefully, I looked into Ohio Dominican University
to continue my cheerleading career and still live at home. It was a spur of the
moment that I had decided to attend Ohio University because if I didn't step away from my mother now I was always
going to be a homebody. As I broke this news to my parents I was hopeful
to get their approval. As my
father was exited for me, my mother face conveyed nervousness. She was trying so hard to keep that
positive attitude but deep down she wasn’t so sure about what she was going to
do without me.
 |
| Grandfathers Veteran's Stone. |
A long news filled week went by and we received a phone
call from my aunt in South Carolina saying that my grandpa (my mom's dad) was
found dead in his bed with a gun on his chest. My grandfather was
fighting throat cancer while my mom was fighting breast cancer and they were
the best of friends. They sent each other letters at least once a week to
talk about the troubles they were going through and the good things that were
happening. It was easier for them to communicate by letters since my
grandfather couldn't talk as well anymore. He wrote us a letter inside of
his daily journal telling us, "no more shots, no more medications, no more
blood, and no more pain. I love you all, please understand. Love,
Dad - Grandpa." Little did we know he was in so much pain it was
unbearable for him. In my mother's fight with cancer she used her father as someone to fight for. It was hard for her to go through this tragic event but with love
and support from the whole family we knew this was just another speed bump in
the road.
 |
| The wig I bought for my mother. |
Losing her hair was one thing that really tore us apart only
because she didn’t feel like the same person. My mom had
told me multiple times during the fight, "I sometimes don't feel like a
woman because I don't have the hair anymore or both breasts and half of the
time I catch people staring at me." This broke my heart because no girl with or without hair or breasts should feel
like they are being stared at and questioned if she is a female. She was
offered multiple wigs from people and even a couple free ones from the boutiques
but she was always too proud. When I
bought this wig she said, "I just don't like wigs, they make me really hot
and make me feel like I'm not being myself." It was horrible knowing there wasn’t anything I could do to
make her feel better. I thought this would be the perfect gift for my mom I hoped to make her laugh and
be the center of attention even when she doesn't look like all of us girls with
hair everyone can still give her the attention she deserves. I love my
mommy and her humor.
 |
| Only 1 Month till College. |
After all the tragedies, my mommy was still fighting as hard as
she could and I am still convinced to this day. I was the reason for
her to continue fighting. No matter the situation I was always there for
her just like she would be for me in a heart beat. The summer before I left for college my mom was terrified to continue fighting with me by her side, to say the least. I felt like I had done more then she had expected me to do so her
needs were met but the moment that I was going to leave she
wasn't so sure she liked that idea. I knew I had made a large
difference in her life and I felt very satisfied but it was still hard to just
be a caregiver for about almost a year, not leaving her side, and then just leaving
for good. For my sake, she wanted
me to do what I wanted and be successful. I knew she was always going to
support me; it was just going to be a change for her. My role had gone
from a daughter to a caregiver in about 2 months and now to a college student
that wanted to be successful with my own future.
 |
| Parents Weekend 2010. |
Of course my mommy missed me extremely much and so the second I
told her about the first parents weekend of 2010, my freshmen year, you better
believe she was the first one there. The feeling of seeing her show up
was incomparable to any other feeling you could image there were tears and hugs, and it had felt like I hadn't seen her in years. We
went to the football game and broke multiple sweats in the heat but had a great
time together. At this point I was
doing great at Ohio University and my mother was actually getting along just
fine at home without me. She just always said that she was
"lonely." I felt the feeling of loneliness could have been different if I would had stayed home. With knowing the loneliness it sometimes make me feel
rather guilty, but I knew I had to think about myself and what truly made me
happy. She was very proud of me
choosing to get away for school rather then being at home and I was very proud
of my mom for getting along in a very successful way at home.
 |
| My mom on her final day of Chemotherapy!! |
 |
| My mother, Aunt, and I on the Big Day! |
FINALLY, the day was here and the journey was over. My mom did it, she fought the battle
and made it through. I felt so relived and happy, mixed emotions I couldn’t figure out. There were tears of joy and a realization that
anyone can make the battle if they just put their all into it. Her
smile of succeeding her
battle crossed her face ear to ear, and she couldn’t believe what she had
accomplished. To actually realize it was over, the pain was over and the healing was coming. She finally felt as if she mattered in the woman's world. I did it, I was a full
time caregiver and student. The
things I sacrificed finally led me to the feeling of achievement for my effort. It was so good to know I
made the difference in her life and I took the role of something not just
anyone can do.
 |
| My Mom and I in November. |
 |
| Spring Break - Cancun, Mexico 2011. |
The visits home continued, though now to simply eat a dinner and hang out my friends. I had a great time with my mom and I knew she was getting stronger by having to do so many things on her own. She was succeeding at getting along and growing her hair back. She was doing so well and I couldn’t be more proud of her. I was still attending Ohio University and achieving so much towards my career as my mom was
finally in remission and couldn’t be happier. She had made it so far and finally it was time for me to think of my future and actually
concentrate on myself for quite some time.
One of the best things happened in the spring of 2011. My mommy surprised me with a spring break vacation to Cancun, Mexico. It was the best thing that has ever happened in my life. It was unreal; I was really going to go outside of the country with my best friend. A year ago from that day my mom was having a 9-hour surgery, so for us to get to finally be together it was great. From taking shots, going to sleep worn out from the sun, to meeting people, it was one of the best weeks of my life.
 |
| Before we went parasailing. |
 |
| As we were parasailing. |
I knew my mother has always wanted to go parasailing so we finally went. I had to build up my courage because I didn't think it was going to be something I would enjoy due to the heights. I had mixed emotions; I wanted to be excited and have a good time but when I was in the air over the ocean I just kept thinking what could be the worst that would happen to us. It was scary but my mother loved it and she was so excited to share such a great experience with me.
 |
| Final day on the beach. |
 |
| My mom and I on the island with the Buggy. |
We got to visit an island where we took a buggy to get over there. It was a great time to see another island as well. The last day we took a huge risk and decided we wanted to get braids to return home with. First, the lady braided mind and it hurt pretty badly from how hard they actually pull your hair. My mom didn't think her hair had grown enough for her to get the braids but the lady pulled it off and gave my mom braids as well. It was awesome to finally realize that my mother did have hair that was getting longer every day. Everyone was laughing at us and we were a little bit anxious to get back home to see everyone and share our experiences. That was the final day, and I couldn't have asked for a better way to make up my Senior year spring break.
It was the time of my life with my best friend.
 |
| Race for the Cure 2011. |
The past two years we have participated in the
Race for the Cure as a family. We supported my mother's fight and I know she is very proud of herself. Who she has made become today is incredible. I am not someone that she can come to for
advice, or a caregiver, or simply just a shoulder to take all of her emotions out on. It really helped me mature quickly and, I believe makes me a better person.
It was the journey of my life and finally we ware a healthy and very close-knit family today.
 |
| Race for the Cure 2012. |
Today, my mother is in great health and I am not a Junior in College with only one more year to go till I finally get to achieve a bachelors degree in Child and Family Studies with a gerontology certificate. I am extremely happy with who I have become today and I wouldn't change any of it for the world. It was a lot of work going through these serious life changing events but honestly I have grown to be successful, caring, and always smiling. I am thankful for the way things turned out and I hope the rest of my life I will look at this and remember what a difference I truly have made in my families and my own life.
Works Cited:
"Breast Cancer." Personal interview. 2 Dec. 2012.
Harness, Jay K., MD. "How To Encourage A Breast Cancer Patient As A Caregiver."YouTube.
YouTube, 16 Nov. 2012. Web. 11 Dec. 2012.
Lepper, Bill. "6-14-10." (n.d.): n. pag. Web. 15 June 2010.
Jenna Dodson
ReplyDelete1.There is no title yet.
2.I think it is strong and she makes it very clear what the subject of her piece is.
3.The journey she went through when her mother got diagnosed with breast cancer and how it affected her and her life choices. The theme is very clear and i think she did a great job in putting her personal life on paper.She made it feel like you were there with her and described the circumstances very well.
4.Yes after each photo she talks about how that picture is relevant and what part of her life and what she was going through at the time it was taken. An example is when she talks about when and where they got the call about her mom being diagnosed with breast cancer.
5.She uses very descriptive language when discussing how hard this was on her family and the emotional roller coaster they have gone on through out these past few years.
6.She doesn't leave out details and makes it very personal making the audience who reads this feel that same emotions that she was feeling when she was going through the situations. I even almost teared up reading the part about her grandfather because it is so open and engaging that it makes you feel as if you experienced as well.
7. I like how she has the photo first and then each one represents a different time or obstacle in her life, I like the organization of this blog.
8. She transitions nicely going step by step through the emotional process and the chronological series of events and the outcome of those events very well.
9. the only sentence i had a hard tim with was "Being by my mother's side for a year straight and watching her wealth increase was really hard for me to make my college decision." I don't really know what the wealth part is suppose to mean, so maybe switch up the words a bit to make it easier to follow. There are a lot of strong sentences because it is so close to her heart that you can tell she had passion for what she was writing about.
10. Yes, after every event she reflects on how it personally affected her and how it changed her as a person and helped her mature.
11. She doesnt have any sources yet.
12.She doesnt have a conclusion yet.
13. I like how each picture tells a story it makes you actually visualize the incidents and challenges and feel like you were there.
14. No, she doesnt have sources for a works cited yet.
15.I really enjoyed this essay and it made feel like i can understand and almost closer to the author because of how heartfelt it was and passionate. I dont really have any unanswered questions and i think once she gets a conclusion it will wrap it up nicely.