Differences Really aren’t that Different
As far back as I can remember I have
been passionate for helping individuals reach their full potential and make a
difference in others lives. This has inspired me to become the person I am
today and has had a major influence the career choice I have chosen to pursue.
I first came to college hoping to one day be a Special Education teacher so
that I could touch individuals lives through close personal relationships, but
throughout my life I have had close relationships with people that have
differences in all different age groups. Thinking about this after my first
quarter at Ohio University I decided that I would switch my major to something
that didn’t limit me to a specific age group but give me free range to help
others in multiple different situations. This is why I chose the career of a
Speech Language Pathologist, I still get to help those with differences but I
can work with multiple different types of patients whether it be in a school,
nursing home, or hospital; I can chose what I find most fitting. I am going to
take you on a journey through the close life experiences that have shaped me
into the person I am today and how they have influenced the way that I see the
world.
I have been around people who have
developmental disabilities my entire life, one of the major exposures I had to
this was my older Cousin Nathan. Nathan was supposed to be born a perfectly
healthy and functional baby boy, but during the birthing process there were
some complications that gave Nate a completely different way of life. Nate
lived a life of never getting to take his first step, say his first word or
even learn how to feed himself; myself being only a small child getting to meet
Nate I only knew that he was not like me. But even as a little girl I noticed
that everyone seemed to always have sympathy around him or think that he was
less of a person because of his disabilities. After being told why Nate was the
way he was I took it upon myself to try and make every time I had with him a
memory and a little less painful for him. I came to find that laughter truly was
the best medicine and if he were here today I’m sure he could vouch for this as
well. So every day I came to visit whether it be singing him silly songs, make
faces at his fish in the fish tank or putting on talent shows with my new
tricks I learned in gymnastics he always had a smile on his face. My time with
Nathan was cut very short I was only 12 years old when he passed away at age
17. Every time I think of him I get sad about the little time I got to know
such a strong, courageous and loving person but the memories I made with him
put a smile on my face. Every time I think of that gigantic ornery grin, I know
that I made his days a little less stressful at times and even though he
couldn’t verbally thank me for what I made a priority, I know he cherishes the
memories we made together.
Going through this experience was a very difficult but
I think rewarding time for me at a young age because it gave me appreciation
for what I have and what kind of influence you, yourself can have on one
particular individual. This experience also gave me a greater appreciation for
my mom, she use to work in group homes with adults that had disabilities and
then decided to go another direction and is currently an Early Intervention
Specialist. She works with children from birth to three years old that have or
seem to be on a spectrum of a disability. I don’t think that she could even
come close to counting the hearts she has touched through her work and personal
experiences. Seeing her interactions with others and following in her footsteps
is one of the greatest honors I could truly be blessed with. You hear people
say that they want to be just like their mom or their dad when they get older,
but I have wanted to work with people who have disabilities my whole life all
because of the impact she has had on me. When I was younger and my mom was
working in the group home she used to bring over residents of the home to our
house to go out for boat rides, we would all get on the boat and make a day of
it. We always had such a great time; one of the residents was special though.
His name was Joe and he had a disability called Down Syndrome, he was my mom’s
best friend; which of course made him my best friend too. He always had the
biggest smile on his face even if he wasn’t feeling that well and he was
convinced that was a real genuine cowboy, he even wore a black cowboy hat every
time we went out. Being around my mom and Joe was exactly like being around
anyone else and their good friend, they talked, they laughed, they told each
other stories, and thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company. This is when I
realized that my mom was not only helping these individuals but she was also
their friend, she wasn’t doing this job because she felt bad for them , she was
doing it so that she could help them reach their highest goals and aspirations
they had. She truly loves everyone of the people who she reaches out to and
they all truly love her, I can’t remember the number of times we have just gone
to grocery stores, and whether it be the cashier or a shopper; they know her
name and say I can’t thank you enough for what you have done for my brother,
sister, son, daughter, the list goes on and on. I have always aspired to be
just like her and every day I am taking steps to become closer to that goal.
When my mom switched from working
with adults who have disabilities to children I was finally old enough to get
involved. I would say it was about 5th grade when I started to get
into the volunteer work at my mom’s school, E.S. Weiant. My mom and her helpers
had this activity everyday called playgroup, where 2 ½ year olds would come in
and interact with each other, every chance I could I was there to help and play
with all of the children. At age 12, one day I was in the therapy room with one
of the kids and I had a pen and paper and I was writing down how many full
words and speech sounds the child was making and reported it back to my mom.
This is when both I and my mom knew that one day my profession would be
something along the lines of helping individuals, no going to lie though I did
switch what I wanted to do an awful lot. First I wanted to be an Early
Intervention Specialist like my mom, then I wanted to be an Occupational
Therapist like my aunt, and once I hit 7th grade I was for sure
going to be a Special Education Teacher and there was nothing that was going to
change my mind about that and this idea stuck until I was a Freshman here at
Ohio University. The reason Special Education was so stuck in my mind was due
to a babysitting service I opened up at my mom’s work for individuals who had
children with disabilities on my mom’s case loads. I had three main children
who I sat for, two who had Down Syndrome and one who was autistic. For those of
you who may not know “Down syndrome is a chromosomal condition that is
associated with intellectual disability, a characteristic facial appearance,
and weak muscle tone (hypotonia) in infancy”(Genetics Home Reference). Autism
is a different type of disorder, there are actually five known type of autism
spectrum disorders and usually through evaluations you find that spectrum that
meets the symptoms; autism in general is a “brain-based
disorders that affect a person’s behavior as well as social and communication
skills” (Autism Science Foundation).
The names of the children I watched were Jordan,
Justice and Grant. I loved working with them and creating that close bond with
them, I would follow things that had been written on their Individual Education
Plan and tried to help them work on specific skills they were struggling with.
I became especially close to Jordan, she had Down syndrome but sure does know
how to light up a room with her smile. I started watching Jordan when she was 2
years old and continued up until she was 7, I have watched Jordan form her
first sentences, taught her how to swim and even experienced her first try at
cheerleading. She is a real go getter and everything that she has put her mind to
she has achieved. She is now 10 and is on the Y.M.C.A. swim team, she also
cheerleads for her middle school. It’s funny because you don’t think going into
it, that someone so little can have such a huge impact on your life, but in
some ways I think she has helped me more than I have helped her. She is the
most confident person (sometimes a little too much) and she doesn’t see a limit
to anything she puts her mind to. I find her so inspiring, she is so
comfortable in her own skin and with who she is that I am jealous! This is a
perfect example of my favorite quote that my mother told me when I was younger
and it has always stayed with me “People with disabilities are people with
possibilities”. Just because someone has a disability does not mean they are limited,
a lot of the time they are more care free, charismatic, goal driven, and even a
lot of the times happier than us typical people. Watching these kids grow up and
transfer into the inspiring and touching people they are today has literally
helped me see the good in a lot more things than the bad. No matter what the
obstacle or challenge it could always be worse and they showed me that through
dedication and support anyone and everyone can make it through anything.
1. I understood what the title meant and felt that it was suitable because of the fact that the writer was trying to say that she knew people with Down Syndrome and Autism are just like anyone else. I would have maybe gone with something more along the lines with how she finally found what she wanted to do. She finally decided on a career path because it fit her just right, but that didn't happen until freshman year of college.
ReplyDelete2. I thought that the intro was a very good way to start off the paper because it gives the reader so background into the writers life. This is important for understanding where she came from and why she is so comfortable around people with disabilities.
3. The main focus is how she figured out exactly what she wanted to do. It talks about the influences in her life that led up to the decision. Her mother and Joe seemed to have the biggest impact and she talks about them significantly in the beginning. The second theme that is a little less talked about, but still relevant is the fact that people with disabilities can have as much happiness and comfort in their lives as anyone else.
4. The writer does a great job with context because she consistently gives greater insight into the experiences that helped her develop into the person she is. "She works with children from birth to three years old that have or seem to be on a spectrum of a disability. I don’t think that she could even come close to counting the hearts she has touched through her work and personal experiences. Seeing her interactions with others and following in her footsteps is one of the greatest honors I could truly be blessed with." Quotes like this really help the reader to understand the writers past.
5. The writers does a great job of describing the personalities of the boys and girls that she used to babysit and entertain. The discriptions show how much she really enjoyed these kids and how much they meant to her growing up.
6. She gives a decent amount of background information which helps the reader understand the people that she is talking about. It might be difficult for the audience to understand the story if they don't understand what the disabilities are.
7. She does a good job of going chronologically. She starts with her childhood and ends with her time in college. This gives her piece good structure and helps it to flow well. I have no suggestions for any changes to it.
8. The writer uses good transitional sentences at the end of each paragraph to led into the next so the blog flows really well.
9. I really don't see any sentences that don't flow well or make sense to me. The author uses the correct tense and relevant information in all her paragraphs.
10. Yes the author shows her internal thoughts and the evolution of her thought through time and her experiences. She goes back to the idea of what she loves doing and how the experiences affected her pretty consistently through out the entire piece.
11. The writer did a good job of using the sources to give background knowledge about the disabilities which helped the reader to have a better mental image of the people she was working with.
12. The ending was a little confusing because it ended with her less focused theme instead of the theme about how she figured out what she really wanted to do with her life. I would maybe go back and add a little about both themes in the conclusion.
13. She doesn't have any yet. I assume it will be done in the final draft.
14. Not yet, she has yet to finish the blog.
15. I thought that the essay was very honest and she really poured her heart out in it. She shared her deep and personal thoughts on her passions and explained how she got there. I enjoyed the order and the evolution of her thought and think she is doing a great job with it. She has yet to finish, but I would make the suggestion that she add a little more about her path to finding her passion and executing it.