Difference Can Be an Inspiration
As far back as I can remember I have
been passionate for helping individuals reach their full potential and make a
difference in others lives. This has inspired me to become the person I am
today and has had a major influence the career choice I have chosen to pursue.
I first came to college hoping to one day be a Special Education teacher so
that I could touch individuals lives through close personal relationships, but
throughout my life I have had close relationships with people that have
differences in all different age groups. Thinking about this after my first
quarter at Ohio University I decided that I would switch my major to something
that didn’t limit me to a specific age group but give me free range to help
others in multiple different situations. This is why I chose the career of a
Speech Language Pathologist, I still get to help those with differences but I
can work with multiple different types of patients whether it be in a school,
nursing home, or hospital; I can chose what I find most fitting. I am going to
take you on a journey through the close life experiences that have shaped me
into the person I am today and how these people and opportunities have
influenced the way that I view the world.
It all started with this guy…….
I have been around people who have
developmental disabilities my entire life, one of the major exposures I had to
this was my older Cousin Nathan. Nathan was supposed to be born a perfectly
healthy and functional baby boy, but during the birthing process there were some
complications that gave Nathan a completely different way of life. Nathan lived
a life of never getting to take his first step, say his first word or even
learn how to feed himself; myself being only a small child getting to meet
Nathan I only knew that he was not like me. But even as a little girl I noticed
that everyone seemed to always have sympathy around him or think that he was
less of a person because of his disabilities. After being told why Nathan was
the way he was I took it upon myself to try and make every time I had with him
a memory and a little less painful for him. I came to find that laughter truly was
the best medicine and if he were here today I’m sure he could vouch for this as
well. So every day I came to visit whether it be singing him silly songs, make
faces at his fish in the fish tank or putting on talent shows with my new
tricks I learned in gymnastics he always had a smile on his face. My time with
Nathan was cut very short I was only 12 years old when he passed away at age
17. Every time I think of him I get sad about the little time I got to know
such a strong, courageous and loving person but the memories I made with him
put a smile on my face. Every time I think of that gigantic ornery grin, I know
that I made his days a little less stressful at times and even though he
couldn’t verbally thank me for what I made a priority, I know he cherishes the
memories we made together. Going through this experience was a very difficult
but I think rewarding time for me at a young age because it gave me
appreciation for what I have and what kind of influence you, yourself can have
on one particular individual, and the major impact they can have on you as well.
The experience with Nathan gave me a greater
appreciation for my mom, she used to work in group homes with adults that had
disabilities and then decided to go another direction and is currently an Early
Intervention Specialist. She works with children from birth to three years old
that have or seem to be on a spectrum of a disability. I don’t think that she
could even come close to counting the hearts she has touched through her work
and personal experiences. Seeing her interactions with others and following in
her footsteps is one of the greatest honors I could truly be blessed with. You
hear people say that they want to be just like their mom or their dad when they
get older, but I have wanted to work with people who have disabilities my whole
life all because of the impact she has had on me. When I was younger and my mom
was working in the group home she used to bring over residents of the home to
our house to go out for boat rides, we would all get on the boat and make a day
of it. We always had such a great time; one of the residents was special
though. His name was Joe and he had a disability called Down Syndrome, he was one
of my mom’s best friends I’m convinced; which of course made him my best friend
too. He always had the biggest smile on his face even if he wasn’t feeling that
well and he was convinced that was a real genuine cowboy, he even wore a black
cowboy hat every time we went out. Being around my mom and Joe was exactly like
being around anyone else and their good friend, they talked, they laughed, they
told each other stories, and thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company. This is
when I realized that my mom was not only helping these individuals but she was
also their friend, she wasn’t doing this job because she felt bad for them, she
was doing it so that she could help them reach their highest goals and
aspirations they had. She truly loves everyone of the people who she reaches
out to and they all truly love her, I can’t remember the number of times we
have just gone to grocery stores, and whether it be the cashier or a shopper;
they know her name and say I can’t thank you enough for what you have done for
my brother, sister, son, daughter, the list goes on and on. I have always
aspired to be just like her and every day I am taking steps to become closer to
that goal.
When my mom switched from working
with adults who have disabilities to children I was finally old enough to get
involved. I would say it was about 5th grade when I started to get
into the volunteer work at my mom’s school, E.S. Weiant. My mom and her helpers
had this activity everyday called playgroup, where 2 ½ year olds would come in
and interact with each other, every chance I could I was there to help and play
with all of the children. At age 12, one day I was in the therapy room with one
of the kids and I had a pen and paper and I was writing down how many full
words and speech sounds the child was making and reported it back to my mom.
This is when both I and my mom knew that one day my profession would be
something along the lines of helping individuals, not going to lie though I did
switch what I wanted to do an awful lot. First I wanted to be an Early
Intervention Specialist like my mom, then I wanted to be an Occupational
Therapist like my aunt, and once I hit 7th grade I was for sure
going to be a Special Education Teacher and there was nothing that was going to
change my mind about that and this idea stuck until I was a Freshman here at
Ohio University. The reason Special Education was so stuck in my mind was due
to a babysitting service I opened up at my mom’s work for individuals who had
children with disabilities on my mom’s case loads. I had multiple different
kids that I sat for, most of them had Down Syndrome and a form of Autism. For
those of you who may not know “Down syndrome is a chromosomal condition that is
associated with intellectual disability, a characteristic facial appearance,
and weak muscle tone (hypotonia) in infancy”(Genetics Home Reference). Autism
is a different type of disorder, there are actually five known type of autism
spectrum disorders and usually through evaluations you find that spectrum that
meets the symptoms; autism in general is a “brain-based disorders that affect a person’s
behavior as well as social and communication skills” (Autism Science
Foundation).
I loved working with the kids and creating that close
bond with them, I would follow things that had been written on their Individual
Education Plan and tried to help them work on specific skills they were
struggling with. I became especially close to Jordan, she has Down Syndrome but
sure does know how to light up a room with her smile; not to mention she’s a
very ornery one. I started watching Jordan when she was 2 years old and continued
up until she was 7. I have watched Jordan form her first full sentences,
witnessed and helped her learn how to swim and she even took a stab at cheerleading.
She is a real go getter and everything that she has put her mind to she has achieved.
She is now 10 and is aspiring to be on the Y.M.C.A. swim team, she also
cheerleads for her middle school. It’s funny because you don’t think going into
it, that someone so little can have such a huge impact on your life, but in
some ways I think she has helped me more than I have helped her. She is the
most confident person (sometimes a little too much) and she doesn’t see a limit
to anything she puts her mind to. I find her so inspiring, she is so
comfortable in her own skin and with who she is that I am jealous! This is a
perfect example of my favorite quote that was posted around my mom’s office when
I was younger and it has always stayed with me “People with disabilities are
people with possibilities”. Just because someone has a disability does not mean
they are limited, a lot of the time they are more care free, charismatic, goal
driven, and even a lot of the times happier than us typical people. Watching
these kids grow up and transfer into the inspiring and touching people they are
today has literally helped me see the good in a lot more things than the bad.
No matter what the obstacle or challenge it could always be worse and they
showed me that through dedication and support anyone and everyone can make it
through anything. They have had a major impact in my career choice as an SLP
(Speech Language Pathologist). I want to be able to give back and help them as
much as they have helped me throughout my life. I want to help people reach
these so called “impossible standards” that they are told they won’t meet. I want
to touch their hearts as much as they have touched mine and be a strong
shoulder that they can always lean on. Most of all I want to be the one that
gets to see that huge smile spread from cheek to cheek when they meet their
goal that everyone else told them they wouldn’t.
A lot of the people I have mentioned were born with
their disability and have had their whole life to adapt to it and become more
comfortable with it; but what about those who haven’t? What if tomorrow you
woke up and became handicapped or over the years you have acquired a disease or
disorder, then what? We seem to think, as typical “normal” human beings that we
are invincible and nothing can touch us, when in reality at any moment our
lives can change forever. This is the case for two of my grandparents,
currently my great grandmother on my mom’s side and my grandfather on my dad’s
side are suffering from dementia. The Alzheimer’s association defines dementia
as follows, “Dementia is a general term
for a decline in mental ability severe enough to interfere with daily life. Memory
loss is an example. Alzheimer's is the most common type of dementia”
(Alzheimer’s Association). My grandfather’s is a lot worse than my grandmothers
and is progressing rather fast, on occasion it will take him a couple tries to
actually realize who I am. We started to see his stages get worse and worse in
the past few years and eventually we ended up having to put him a nursing home.
I think the final straw was when he started to wander and we couldn’t leave him
home alone anymore, he would wander away from home without telling anyone where
he was going and without being aware of the temperature outside. Clearly something
had to be done, he is now in a nursing home with many others that have
Alzheimer’s and I’m not going to lie he absolutely hates it and hates a lot of
people for having to be there but in the end it is what was best for him. Going
through this really makes me live life to the fullest and take chances because
you never know what is going to happen tomorrow. You could get in a car
accident, become clinically diagnosed with a disease, or something out of the
ordinary could just change your life forever. I don’t know about you but I
certainly don’t want to have regrets. I want to help people in the here and now
and help them become better every day, not put anything off until the next. I
am very passionate about making every day count and in the future I plan on
doing this in my occupation, as a team between patient and clinician we will
make every day better than the last.
My Motivation
and Inspiration
As you have read this I’m sure it has been made clear
that I am very passionate about what I plan to do for myself and others in the
future. Through the experiences I have gone through whether they be positive or
negative, I look at each of them as a lesson, lessons for life, lessons for the
future, and lessons on how I can become a better me. Every life experience is a
chance to take something away from it and use it to improve you. I have chosen
to take these specific opportunities that have been given to me and give back
through my work in the future and volunteer work in the present. All of the
individuals above have something in common, and that is that they have a
support behind them, a shoulder to lean on, someone to carry them over the
finish line when things get to tough. I aspire to be that person and one day I
hope that I am, I am taking steps towards this goal everyday and taking notes
from my biggest inspiration; my mom.
Works Cited
"Dementia | Signs, Symptoms
& Diagnosis." Dementia | Signs, Symptoms & Diagnosis. N.p.,
2012. Web. 09 Dec. 2012
"Down Syndrome." -
Genetics Home Reference. N.p., 2 Dec. 2012. Web. 09 Dec. 2012.
"What Is Autism?" Autism
Science Foundation. Autism Science Foundation, 2012. Web. 09 Dec. 2012.


No comments:
Post a Comment