The easiest way to understand me is
to take a look into my everyday life. Most days I wake up at 8am and get into
the WOUB Public Media office by 9 where I am hired as an on staff
designer. After work I eat lunch while
I read a group of daily design blogs that I check every day to keep current on
any new trends and for inspiration. My creativity continues as I go to my
design class. As you might suspect design is the one thing I involve myself
with daily and I absolutely love it. I love it so much that it is hard for me to imagine but all
this never happened had I not believed in myself.
My
journey into design start sophomore year of high school when I took a class
called “Graphics and Communications.” My reasoning for taking this class was
because it was an easy A. The topic of the class was just learning the ins and
outs of Photoshop, which I had already known so I expected to breeze through
this class. Which is what me and everyone else in the class did. What I did not
expect was for me to find a passion designing with photoshop. I spent probably
way too much time on the simple projects but I loved doing it so I didn’t mind.
When it came time for my Junior Year I still had no idea what I wanted to do in
college so I took a class called “Visual Communication I.” I knew it would be
more in-depth than the other class since it was labeled as an art class and
that made me both excited and nervous at the same time. I was the only person
in the class that wasn’t in regular art and they obviously have all known each
other for a while which made me the odd man out. Another thing that made me the
odd man out was my ability to draw. This was never a problem for me before but
now that I heard we had to draw in the first day of class I was ready to drop it.
Looking back on it I’m kind disappointed/embarrassed at myself for even
thinking about dropping out once I had a small setback. However I can’t go back
in time and change my story so after school that day I went to talk to the
teacher about dropping the class. What I didn’t know was this conversation was
going to be one of the first one-on-one conversations with someone who I now
consider a mentor and a huge influence on my life. The teacher’s name is Mr.
Beutsche and when I told him I have to drop the class he just laughed at me and
said “How about you show me what you can do before telling me what you can’t.”
Which admittedly sounds like a line from a bad Disney Channel Movie but cross
my heart that is what he said to me. After a couple weeks it came time for our
first project critique. For anyone who hasn’t taken an art class, a critique is
basically putting your work in front of all your peers and they say what is
good about it and what is bad. My first critique’s comments mostly were in the
“bad” category, which absolutely obliterated my confidence in this class. The
project was to design a personal logo for yourself and I would show it in this blog
but I don’t think I even saved it. I remember leaving the class pissed off at
myself once again for even thinking I could do this class, and now I was going
to be stuck in it for a whole semester. The embarrassment of the critique
pushed me forward for the next project because I was determined not to go
through that experience again. The second project was to design a CD cover for
a specific song and right from the start I was trying my hardest. I spent much
more time than anyone else sketching out my idea due to me starting over and
over trying to get results with my dismal drawing skills. When it came to
designing it on the computer everything just fell into place. I think it was
because I spent so much time drawing it that I had a clear image in my head,
which is the point of sketching but I didn’t know that at the time. At the time
of my second critique everything was different. No longer was I receiving criticism
but rather praise. It was the best feeling in the world and I wanted more of
it. My second critique was the start of a roller coaster year for me. By the
end of my junior I had an A in both Viscom I&II, and won two city-wide design competitions all
without being able to draw. I found myself blazing my own path and started to
create my own aesthetic and way of doing things.
1. First Draft isn't that great a title, I'm sure he'll think of something real neat because he's real witty and smart!
ReplyDelete2. I'm not a fan, "The easiest way to understand me is to take a look into my everyday life." Seems kinda obvious. I'd start with a story about designing.
3.Main Theme of this essay is that something Billy took as a joke became part of his identity. I don't think he really communicated this yet though since he only has about half an essay. He should spend the second part of his essay connecting his story to this theme.
4. Does a pretty good job with when, the story is chronological. Could use more where, If I didn't know Billy I'd have no idea where his life took place.
5. Billy is pretty bland with his description more sticking to the nuts and bolts. His best descriptions are describing art terms and providing his wit with comments like “How about you show me what you can do before telling me what you can’t.” Which admittedly sounds like a line from a bad Disney Channel Movie but cross my heart that is what he said to me.
6. I don't think he allowed the reader to relate enough. He needs that audience relevancy link as he connects his theme to his story in the 2nd part of his paper.
7. Chronologically.
8. Needs to make more paragraphs.
10. The whole essay is about himself, so he'll need to reflect more in the 2nd half of his paper. As he looks back on his experience in hindsight.
ReplyDelete11. No sources.
12. He doesn't. He'll need to do that.
13. THERE ARE NONE!
14. No.
15. Dearest Bill,
I was fascinated to hear about your early childhood and maturing adolescence as you grew up with art. I'd be careful with your grammar, you need more commas. Overall, I'd slow down on your paper. You go through a new event in each sentence. I'd make each event you go through seem more important. Overall, I liked it. It's probably .5 or 1 point less as good as mine.
Best of luck,
Daniel MEDLOCK not MULVEY!
9. Copy and paste sentences that are hard to follow:
ReplyDeleteno